1. Dum Dum Girls – I Will Be: I listened to this album more than any other this year.
2. Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest
3. Frankie Rose and the Outs – s/t: Songs that aren’t really songs but moody, catchy, frequently beautiful experiments. Self-aware, too: “Think about the empty space…”
4. MGMT – Congratulations: Hated their last album.
5. Wavves – King of the Beach: Didn’t bother with their last album.
6. Let’s Wrestle – In the Court of the Wrestling Let’s
Charlotte Gainsbourg – IRM
Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
OK Go – Of the Blue Colour of the Sky
The Chemical Brothers – Further
I didn’t see any movies this year. Well, not really. But I hardly saw any. I liked The Social Network (which I wrote about here), The Kids Are All Right (which depicted Mark Ruffalo’s meaty, thrusting ass), and Everyone Else (which was a twisty and unusual depiction of a failing relationship).
Still want to see: Burlesque, Enter the Void, Life During Wartime, Winter’s Bone, Black Swan, Dogtooth, Toy Story 3, Blue Valentine, Another Year.
Hated hated hated: Alice in Wonderland